By Maj (R) Zuha Saeed (12 OTS)
Editor’s Note: Maj Zuha Saeed is from 28 Cavalry. He got early retirement in 1995. He has settled in Islamabad.
Just for the record and remembering our glorious military history, I was intrigued and I started to collect data after Gen Raheel Sharif was announced our 15th COAS on 27th Nov 2013 (He took over on 29 November 2013).
To my surprise and grief, there I found such big names we have lost in dust of history, I just could not stop myself to write this piece …I BET, my finding in the last paragraph of this article will be worth a read, just as reminder to all and my gratitude to their service to our great Army.
Here are the names of GENERALS who got trampled in this dirty game of POWER in the last 66 years!!
I am not taking into consideration the first two British Army Chiefs; Gen Sir Frank Messervy (August 15, 1947 – February 10, 1948) and Gen Sir Douglas Gracey (February 11, 1948 – January 16, 1951).
1. Field Marshal Muhammad Ayub Khan (January 16, 1951 – October 26, 1958) was the first NATIVE officer to take over Pakistan Army. When he was promoted as C-in-C, he superseded 3 Maj Gens on his elevation:-
– Maj Gen Akbar Khan
– Maj Gen N A M Raza
– Maj Gen ??? (PA-6, a Bengali officer)
2. Gen Muhammad Musa (October 27, 1958 – June 17, 1966). He superseded the following on his promotion:-
– Maj Gen Sher Ali Khan Pataudi
– Maj Gen Latif Khan
– Maj Gen Adam Khan
3. Gen Muhammad Yahya Khan (June 18, 1966 – December 20, 1971) was designated Deputy C-in-C in March 1966, and later became the C in C in June 1966. He supersede the following Generals:-
– Lt Gen Altaf Qadir
– Lt Gen Bakhtiar Rana
4. Lt Gen Gul Hassan Khan (December 20, 1971 – March 3, 1972). He was the only 3 star C-in-C we ever had. He superseded only one Gen:-
– Lt Gen Tikka Khan
5. Gen Tikka Khan (March 3, 1972 – March 1, 1976). He was the only superseded 3 star to become Army Chief in our history. He was made 4 star C in C after Gul Hassan was removed by Zulfikar Ali Bhutto on 2nd March 1972. He was promoted on seniority and did not supersede any officer.
6. Gen Muhammad Zia-ul-Haq (March 1, 1976 – August 17, 1988). When Bhutto elevated him as COAS in March 1976, Zia superseded the following Generals:-
– Lt. Gen Muhammad Shariff
– Lt Gen Aftab Ahmad Khan
– Lt Gen Akbar Khan
– Lt Gen Azmat Baksh Awan
– Lt Gen Ghulam Jilani
– Lt Gen Abdul Majid Malik
(Some put Lt Gen Agha Ibrahim Akram as senior to Zia-ul-Haq, but I am not very sure about it).
7. Gen Mirza Aslam Beg (August 17, 1988 to August 16, 1991). He was promoted after the plane crash of Gen Zia. He was already VCOAS and did not supersede any officer.
8. Gen Asif Nawaz (Aug ust16, 1991 – January 8, 1993). He was promoted on seniority and did not supersede any officer.
9. Gen Abdul Waheed Kakar (January 11, 1993 – January 12, 1996). When Gen Waheed Kakar was promoted after the sudden death of Gen Asif Nawaz, the following four Lt Gens were superseded:-
– Lt Gen Rehm Dil Bhatti
– Lt Gen Mohammad Ashraf
– Lt Gen Farrakh Khan
– Lt Gen Arif Bangash
(Among these generals, last two opted to continue serving as per Gen Kakar’s request).
10. Gen Jehangir Karamat (January 12, 1996 – October 6, 1998). He was promoted on seniority and did not supersede any officer.
11. Gen Pervez Musharraf (October 6, 1998 – November 28, 2007). His elevation to COAS superseded the following:-
– Lt Gen Ali Kuli Khan
– Lt Gen Khalid Nawaz
12. Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani (November 29, 2007 – November 29, 2013). He was made VCOAS in Oct 2007 and was made COAS on the departure of Gen Pervez Musharraf. He superseded one Gen officer to become VCOAS:-
– Lt Gen Khalid Kidwai
13. Gen Raheel Sharif has been promoted as COAS on 29 Nov 2013. He superseded only one officer:-
– Lt Gen Haroon Aslam
So as the history tells us, out of the 15 Commander-in-Chiefs and Chiefs of Army Staff that have been promoted in 66 years, barring the first two British Chiefs, out of the 13 NATIVES, 9 were promoted OUT OF TURN. In PLAIN WORDS, out of 13 ARMY CHIEFS we are so proud of, 9 were not the TOP MEN at the time of their elevation, so much for the words SENIORITY, MERIT and REWARD that we harp. And frankly they have been the PERSONAL choice of a SINGLETON LOYALTY SEEKING head of state of their time.
Out of these 9 who were apparently choice of a SINGLE man, 3 imposed martial law and bit the same hand that fed them!!!
Pakistan Army Blog (Retired Officers)
Editor’s Note: If you have liked this page, then please share it on Facebook, Twitter or any other social media.
If it is not inconvenient, please do write a brief comment at the end of this page under the heading “Leave a Reply here”.
Visitors of this website are welcome to contribute their articles by sending to: firstname.lastname@example.org