Brief History: Hyderabad is a District in the Sindh Province of Pakistan. It is administratively divided into four talukas (sub-divisions); Hyderabad City, Hyderabad Rural, Latifabad and Qasimabad. The district HQ is at Hyderabad city, the 2nd largest city in the Sindh Province after Karachi, and the 5th largest city in the country.
Mian Ghulam Shah Kalhoro of the Kalhora Dynasty founded Hyderabad city in 1768 over the ruins of Neroon Kot, a small fishing village on the banks of River Indus named after its ruler Neroon. Ghulam Shah Kalhoro built a fort (on one of the three hills of Hyderabad) with fire-baked bricks, thus it got the name Pacco Qillo (the strong fort).
After the death of the last Kalhoro, the Talpur dynasty ruled the region and made Hyderabad its capital in 1789. The British Army led by General Napier defeated Talpurs at the Battle of Miani in 1843 and Hyderabad came under their control. The British made the city part of the Bombay Presidency of British colonial empire.
After the independence of Pakistan in 1947, Hyderabad was made the capital of Sindh . In 1955, the provinces were dissolved and the One Unit (West Pakistan) was formed and Lahore was its capital. In 1969 the One Unit was also dissolved and Karachi was made the capital of Sindh.
Hyderabad is the largest bangle producer in the world.
Video of Hyderabad City
Hyderabad Cantonment Entrance, 2009. Photo by Kamran Solangi.
Ghanta Ghar (Clock Tower) at Navalrai Market, Hyderabad. This “Ghanta Ghar” (Clock Tower) was built by British in 1914. It is located at Navalrai Market, in Shahi Bazaar, Hyderabad. It is the ending point of Shahi Bazaar that starts from the main gate of Pakka Fort. Photo by Saqib Qayyum.
Sindh University, Old Campus, Hyderabad. This is the Old Campus of Sindh Univeristy before it was shifted to its New Campus at Jamshoro. The Campus is still in use where classes for some subjects such as B .Ed are held. Photo by Masd .
Hyderabad Railway Station Building. Photo by Saqib Qayyum.
Tomb of Mian Ghulam Shah Kalhoro, Hyderabad. It is the tomb of the Kalhoro ruler Mian Ghulam Shah Kalhoro ruled Sindh from 1701 to 1783. The dome of this tomb was collapsed and has now been replaced by a flat roof. Photo by Saqib Qayyum.
St. Philip’s Church, Hyderabad
Hyderabad Civil Hospital in 1940s
National College, Hyderabad in 1940s
Hyderabad Old Photos: Hyderabad Fort in 1940s
Aerial View of Hyderabad, 1940s
Hyderabad city seen from the Fort, 1940s
Kotri Bridge Over Indus River, Hyderabad, 1940s
Phuleli Canal Promenade, Hyderabad, 1940s
Wind Catchers (Windscreens) at the Roof of Houses in Hyderabad, 1928. Photo by Martin Hürlimann.
Mud Houses in Hyderabad city in 1875