Brief History: Dera Ghazi Khan is a district in the Punjab province of Pakistan. Its capital is Dera Ghazi Khan city. The city was founded in 15th century by Amar, a Tribal Sardar of Mirani and named after Nawab Ghazi Khan Mirani, son of Nawab Haji Khan Mirani, a Balochi chieftain, who had declared independence from the Langah Dynasty’s Sultans of Multan. Together with two other Deras i.e. settlements,Dera Ismail Khan and Dera Fateh Khan, it gave its name to Derajat. Derajat eventually came into the possession of the British after the Sikh War in 1849 and was divided into two districts: Dera Ghazi Khan and Dera Ismail Khan. The district of Rajanpur was later carved out of the Dera Ghazi Khan district.
The old city of Dera Ghazi Khan was situated at the distance of 10 miles (16 km) towards east of the present city. In 1908, the old city of Dera Ghazi Khan was abolished due to heavy flood in the river Indus. Then the existing city of Dera Ghazi Khan came into being in the year 1910.
There are petroleum and gas reservoirs in district Dera Ghazi Khan at sites Rodho, Zindapir, Afiband, Dhodhak, etc. The Koh-e-Sulaiman Range constitutes a major part of this area, This range is full of natural deposits like marble and lime stone. A big cement plant DG Cement is also situated in Kofli Sattai, Tehsil Dera Ghazi Khan.
Dera Ghazi Khan Airport
Dera Ghazi Khan Railway Station
Ghazi University, Dera Ghazi Khan
University of Education, DG Khan. Photo by Tanbukhari.
Ghazi Medical College, DG Khan. Photo by Younis khosa qatar.
Divisional Public School and College, DG Khan
Ghazi University Chowk, DG Khan. Photo by khalid.
The Tomb of Ghazi Khan, DG Khan. The tomb of Ghazi Khan, locally called as handeera in Saraiki, was built in the beginning of 15th century. It is located in the Mulla Quaid Shah Graveyard. The graveyard was built up around the tomb of Ghazi Khan. This is the oldest building in the city. Photo by khalid.
DG Khan Cement Factory. Photo by Shahrukh Malik.
Sakhi Sarwar. Sakhi Sarwar is a town in Dera Ghazi Khan district. It is named after a Muslim Sufi saint Syed Ahmad Sultan, also known as Sakhi Sarwar. His tomb was built in the 13th century in Sulaiman Mountains, 35 kilometres from Dera Ghazi Khan city. It is located in a small village named Muqam. Later, Mughal emperor Zahir-ud-din Muhammad Babur amended his tomb. It is a unique building of Mughal architecture.
Mountain Road from DG Khan to Fort Munro. Fort Munro is a hill station, located at a height of 6,470 feet above sea level in Dera Ghazi Khan district. It is around 85 kilometres from Dera Ghazi Khan city and about 185 kilometres from Multan in Sulaiman Mountain range. The people of Fort Munro are nomads, especially of the Leghari tribe. The town was founded by Robert Groves Sandeman in the later part of the 19th century and named Fort Munro after Colonel Munro who was commissioner of the Derajat Division. Photo by Engriq.
Snowfall at Fort Munro. Photo by Younis Khosa.
Dames Lake, Fort Munro. Photo by khalid.
Panoramic View of Dames Lake at Fort Munro. Photo by Naveed Ahmed.
A Monument at Fort Munro. This Monument was built atop the highest hill of Fort Munro to remember the merger of Baluchi tribes with the Punjab Government in 1950.
Remnants of Fort at Fort Munro. Photo by asif saeed.
A Boat in Indus River at Dera Ghazi Khan, 1899. Photo by M Bhatia.
An Old and rare Photo of Fort Munro. Photo taken in 1899.
Mess Bungalow at Dera Ghazi Khan in 1894. Photo by emmyeustace.
‘The Trinity Bungalow’ at Dera Ghazi Khan, 1890. Photo by emmyeustace.
Editor’s Note: If you have liked this page, then please share it on Facebook, Twitter or any other social media. It will encourage the Admin to add more photos of D.G.Khan. The sharing buttons are at the end of the page.
You may also write your brief comment under the heading “Leave a Reply here”.