Brief History: The princely state of Bahawalpur was founded in 1802 by Nawab Mohammad Bahawal Khan II after the break up of Durrani Empire. The state acceded to Pakistan on 7 October 1947 when Nawab Sadiq Muhammad Khan Abbasi V decided to join Pakistan. Bahawalpur became a province of Pakistan in 1952 and was merged into the province of West Pakistan on 14 October 1955. When West Pakistan was divided into four provinces (Sindh, Balochistan, NWFP, and Punjab), Bahawalpur was merged into Punjab.
Bahawalpur is located south of the Sutlej River and lies in the Cholistan region near the Thar Desert. Bahawalpur is known for its famous palaces such as the Noor Mahal, Sadiq Ghar Palace, and Darbar Mahal, as well as the ancient fort of Derawar in the Cholistan Desert. The city is located near the historical and ancient town of Uch. Lal Suhanra National Park, a natural Safari Park, is also located in Bahawalpur.
A Video about Bahawalpur
Noor Mahal, Bahawalpur. Noor Mahal is a palace in Bahawalpur. It was built in 1872 by Nawab Sadiq Muhammad Khan IV for his wife. She stayed in the palace for only one night because she saw a graveyard from its balcony and refused to live there.
Inside View of Noor Mahal
Darbar Mahal, Bahawalpur. A former palace of the Nawabs (Rulers) of Bahawalpur.
Interior of Darbar Mahal, Bahawalpur. Photo by Dr. Junaid.
Sadiq Masjid at Darbar Mahal, Bahawalpur. Photo by Dr. Junaid.
Baradari at Darbar Mahal, Bahawalpur. Photo by Dr. Junaid.
Water Stream (Channel) in Darbar Mahal, Bahawalpur. Photo by Dr. Junaid.
Gulzar Mahal, Bahawalpur
Nishat Mahal, Bahawalpur. Photo by Dr. Junaid.
Farrukh Mahal, Bahawalpur
Sadiq Garh Palace, Dera Nawab Sahib, Bahawalpur. Sadiq Garh Palace (Sleeping Beauty Castle) is situated at Dera Nawab Sahib (Ahmedpur East), about 30 miles from Bahawalpur. Sadiq Garh Palace was established in 1882 by Nawab Sadiq Muhammad Khan IV. Its construction was completed in 10 years. After Nawab’s death, the Palace had been sealed by the government for many decades due to a dispute among heirs. The building now gives a deserted look surrounded by wild growth of shrubs.
Historical Bell, Bahawalpur. Photo by Dr. Junaid.
Historical Fountain, Bahawalpur. Photo by Dr. Junaid.
Majestic Building of Bahawalpur Library. Photo by Anahita Hashmani.
Interior view of Bahawalpur Library. Photo by Anahita Hashmani.
Old Railway Engine Displayed at Bahawalpur Library. Photo by Anahita Hashmani.
Bahawalpur Airport, Sheikh Rashid Terminal Building. Bahawalpur Airport has been re-developed from funds of the United Arab Emirates government. A new terminal has also been constructed and named after the ruler of Dubai, Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum.
Bahawalpur Railway Station
Exterior view of Bahawalpur Railway Station
Daewoo Bus Terminal, Bahawalpur
Baab-e-Farid (Farid Gate), Bahawalpur
Chowk Fawara, Circular Road, Bahawalpur
The Islamia University of Bahawalpur. The Islamia University of Bahawalpur (IUB) is located in Bahawalpur,Punjab. A religious University (Jamia Abbasia) was established in Bahawalpur in 1925, following the academic pursuits of Jamia Al-Azhar, Egypt. Jamia Abbasia was declared as a general University in 1975, and was renamed as The Islamia University of Bahawalpur. Initially, it started functioning at Abbasia and Khawaja Fareed Campuses.Later, a new campus,on 1250 acres of land, was constructed at Hasilpur Road about 8 km away from the city centre. It is known as Baghdad-ul-Jadeed Campus. Two campuses of Islamia University were established at Rahim Yar Khan and Bahawalnagar in 2005.
Bahawal Victoria Hospital (BVH), Bahawalpur. Bahawal Victoria Hospital (BVH) located in Bahawalpur, started functioning in 1876 as a Civil Hospital with an outdoor department, a dispensary and an operating theatre. In 1906, it was named Bahawal Victoria Hospital. In 1971, it was affiliated with Quaid e Azam Medical College as a teaching hospital.
Quaid e Azam Medical College (QAMC), Bahawalpur. Quaid-e-Azam Medical College was founded on 2nd December 1971.The college is affiliated for clinical training to Bahawal Victoria Hospital (BVH).During the first few years, the academic building was located in a Government Vocational Institute building in Satellite Town area (Baghdad-ul-Jadeed Road). By the time of passing out of the first batch, the present well designed and spacious building had been completed.
Sadiq Public School, Bahawalpur. Sadiq Public School, Bahawalpur is a boarding college-preparatory school. Day scholars also study there. The foundation stone of the school was laid by Nawab Sadiq Muhammad Khan Abbasi V on 4 March 1953 and the school started functioning on 18 January 1954.
Dring Stadium, Bahawalpur. The Bahawalpur Stadium, locally known as Dring Stadium, is a multi-purpose stadium used mostly for Cricket games. The stadium has a capacity of 15,000 people. It hosted the second Test of Indian cricket team in 1954-55 during India’s inaugural tour of Pakistan. However, this was the only international Test match to be held at this ground.
Derawar Fort, Bahawalpur. Derawar Fort is located 45 km south of Dera Nawab. The first fort on the site was built by Hindu Rajput, Rai Jajja Bhatti of Jaisalmer. It was captured and completely rebuilt by the nawabs of Bahawalpur in 1733. In 1747, the fort slipped from the hands of the Abbasis owing to Bahawal Khan’s preoccupations at Shikarpur. Nawab Mubarak Khan took the stronghold back in 1804.
The forty bastions of Derawar are visible for many miles in Cholistan Desert. The walls of the fort are 30 metres high with a circumference of 1.5 km. The mosque outside the fort is made of marble. It was built on the exact lines of the Moti Masjid in the Red Fort of Delhi (India). The fort is still the property of the Abbasi family and one has apply to the Bahawalpur PTDC to request a permit from Abbasi family. It takes a week for getting the permit. There is a royal necropolis ( Graveyard), five-minute walk to the east. Its tombs are adorned with exquisite blue tiles but it’s not open to visitors unless they are accompanied by a member of the Abbasi family.
Abbasi Masjid (Mosque) Outside the Derawar Fort. The Abbasi Mosque (Masjid) outside the fort is made of marble. It was built on the exact lines of the Moti Masjid in the Red Fort of Delhi (India).
Aerial View of Derawar Fort and Abbasi Mosque, Bahawalpur
Tomb of Mayee Jiuundi in Uch Sharif, Bahawalpur
Lal Suhanra National Park. Lal Suhanra National Park, situated 35 km east of Bahawalpur, is located on both sides of Desert Branch canal. It is spread over an area of 153,000 acres and notable for the diversity of its landscape, which includes areas of desert, forest and water.
Many species of animals can be found throughout the park. These include several wild animals of the desert such as wildcats, rabbits, bustards, and deer. Reptiles in the park include the Monitor lizard, Russell’s Viper, Indian Cobra, Saw Scaled Viper, Wolf Snake, John’s Sand Boa, and Spiny Tailed Lizard. More than 160 species of birds are also present, including the Houbara Bustard, Griffon Vulture, Crested Honey Buzzard, Marsh Harrier, Hen Harrier, Laggar Falcon, Peregrine Falcon, Kestrel, Eurasian Sparrowhawk, Egyptian Vulture, Lark, Shrike, Wheatear, and Barn Owl. Patisar Lake, located in the center of the park, is ideal for bird watching. In mid-winter, the lake is regularly home to between 10,000 and 30,000 ducks and common coot.
The Punjab government is converting the Lal Sohanra National Park into a Wildlife Safari Park of international standard. One of its most prominent attractions is currently the Lion Safari, where one can see lions in their natural habitat at close range. In addition, the park’s captive breeding suite holds a pair of Rhinoceros which were gifted from Nepal. Over 400 animals are currently being bred in the Lal Sohanra Park, including a large population of Blackbucks, a breed of antelope most notable for its pronounced sexual dimorphism. The park is constantly supplied with new Blackbucks in order to extend its efforts toward Blackbuck conservation.
Blackbucks and Deer at Lal Suhanra National Park
Canal View at Lal Suhanra National Park, Bahawalpur
Stamps Issued by Bahawalpur State. The State of Bahawalpur State issued its first stamps on 1st January 1945. These stamps were for official use only and totally inscribed in Arabic language. On 1st December 1947 the State of Bahawalpur issued first regular stamp, a commemorative stamp for the 200th anniversary of Nawab Mohammad Bahawal Khan I. A series of 14 pictorials appeared on 1st April 1948, depicting various Nawabs and their buildings.
The Sadiq-ul Akhbar, Bahawalpur: Edition of July 1939. This weekly newspaper was issued from Bahawalpur.
Nawab of Bahawalpur in 1877. Nawab of Bahawalpur Mohammad Bahawal Khan Abbasi V in 1877.
Editor’s Note: If you have liked this page, then please share it on Facebook, Twitter or any other social media. It will encourage the Admin to add more photos of Bahawalpur. The sharing buttons are at the end of the page.
You may also write your brief comment under the heading “Leave a Reply here”.