Jhelum is a district of Rawalpindi Division in the Punjab Province of Pakistan. It is one of the oldest districts of Punjab and was established on 23 March 1849. During British rule, Jhelum was much larger than the current district. Chakwal and Talagang tehsils were also included in it. In 1914, the tehsil of Talagang was detached from the District and incorporated with the new District of Attock. In 1985, the tehsil of Chakwal was also detached from Jhelum and a new district was formed.
The city of Jhelum is the capital of the district. The district is administratively divided into four tehsils (subdivisions); Jhelum, Sohawa, Pind Dadan Khan and Dina.
Jhelum has since its creation been dominated by Persian, Greek, Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim, Sikh and British influences to present-day Pakistan.
Jhelum is near the site of the famous Battle of the Hydaspes between the armies of Alexander the Great and Raja Porus. This battle took place a few miles downstream from the city centre, along the banks of River Jhelum. The city was founded to commemorate the death of Alexander’s horse, Bucephalus, and was originally called Bucephala.
Sultan Mahmud Ghaznavi conquered Punjab region including the Jhelum District. The Delhi Sultanate and later Mughal Empire ruled the region.
The Gakhars, who appear to represent an early wave of conquest from the west, and who still inhabit a large tract in the east of the District; while the Awans, who now cluster in the western plain, are apparently later invaders, the Gakhars were the dominant race during the early Muslim era and they long-continued to retain their independence, both in Jhelum itself and in the neighbouring District of Rawalpindi.
The Janjuas and Jats, who now hold the Salt Range and its northern plateau respectively, appear to have been the earliest inhabitants.
In 1765 Gujar Singh defeated the last independent Gakhars Chief, Muqarrrab Khan, and reduced the wild mountaineers of the Salt Range and the Murree Hills to subjection. The Muslims faced severe restrictions during the Sikh rule.
In 1847 Jhelum passed with the rest of the Sikh territories into the power of the British.
Old Bridge on Jhelum River
New Bridge on Jhelum River
Exterior of Jhelum Railway Station
A View of Jhelum Railway Station
A Train arriving at Jhelum Railway Station
A Train at Jhelum Railway Station
Major Akram Shaheed Chowk Jhelum Cantt. Illumination on 23rd March 2014.
Jhelum District Cricket Stadium
A Match at Jhelum Cricket Stadium
District HQ Hospital Jhelum
Police Lines Jhelum
GPO (General Post Office) Jhelum
F-86 Aircraft at Jhelum Cantt
Shandaar Chowk Jhelum
KFC at Jhelum
KFC Outlet in Jhelum at Night
Subway Outlet in Jhelum
Al-Bilal Hotel Jhelum
Jhelum Cash & Carry Store in London, UK
Punjab University Jhelum Campus
Government College, G.T. Road, Jhelum
FG Inter College Jhelum Cantt
Jinnah College Jhelum
Government High School Jhelum
FG Girls Public Secondary School
FG School for Boys Jhelum
Presentation Convent High School Jhelum
Happy Home Secondary School Jhelum
A Mosque in Jhelum Cantonment
Jamia Masjid Khalid Bin Waleed (Masjid Ahle Hadees), Jhelum. It is located in Toya Mohallah.
Masjid Afghan at the bank of Jhelum River
Maulvi Boota Masjid Karimpura, Jhelum
St. John’s Church, Jhelum Cantonment. St. John’s Church is located in Jhelum cantonment, beside the river Jhelum. After some eight years in the construction, it was consecrated in 1857 as an Anglican house of worship. It is a Protestant church, now under the Church of Pakistan.
The church was built to commemorate the British victory in the Indian Rebellion of 1857 (The Natives call it The War of Independence).
Presbyterian Church, Jhelum
Rohtas Fort near Dina. Rohtas Fort is situated in a gorge approx 16 km NW of Jhelum and 7 km from Dina. It was constructed on a hillock where the tiny Kahan river meets another rainy stream called Parnal Khas and turns east towards Tilla Jogian Range. The fort is about 300 feet (91 m) above its surroundings. It could hold a force of up to 30,000 men.
It was built by Sher Shah Suri, to subdue the rebellious tribes of the northern Punjab region, in the 16th century.The work on this fort was started in 1541 and it took 8 years to built it. Sher Shah Suri died before the completion of this magnificent structure.This fort is about 4 km in circumference. The Rohtas fort was built to crush the local tribes of Potohar, who rebelled against the Sur dynasty after the Mughal emperor Humayun was ousted by the former. The tribes included, Awans, Janjua Rajputs, Dhund Abbasi, Kayanis, Minhas Rajputs, Khokhars among others.
The Fort was recaptured by local tribes and the Afghans were forced to flee. It became the capital of Gakhars. After the takeover of the Punjab by the Ranjit Singh, Sardar General Gurmukh Singh Lamba captured the Rothas Fort from Ghakhar chief Nur Khan in 1825.
Kabuli Gate of Rohtas Fort
Tilla Jogian near Jhelum. Tilla Jogian is the highest peak in the Eastern Salt Range in Punjab, Pakistan. At 975 meters (3200 ft) above sea level, it is about 25 km to the west of Jhelum city. For thousand of years it was a place of sun worship for the Hindus because the sun can be seen here earlier and sets here later due to its height. Tilla Jogian in Punjabi means the Hill of Saints. This is where the Kanphata Jogis, who pierced their earlobes and were an order founded by Guru Gorakhnath have left behind a monastery.
Tilla Jogian also finds mention in the epic love poem Heer Ranjha of Waris Shah. Ranjha, the story’s protagonist, who when spending his time on the rebound, sublimating his love and passion in the spiritual world, came here for consolation and got his ears ringed here as was the tradition of Guru Goraknath’s followers.
For the Sikhs there is also another significance to Tilla Jogian as Guru Nanak Dev ji, the founder of Sikhism is said to have spent 40 days in quiet seclusion at Tilla Jogian. The Sikhs during the rule of Maharaja Ranjit Singh made a stone pond here in his memory. The British made a road and a pond here for water.
Hindu Temple at Tilla Jogian
Mazar of Shahab-ud-Din Ghori at Dhamiak near Sohawa, District Jhelum
Sultan Shahab-ud-Din Muhammad Ghori, originally called Mu’izzuddīn Muḥammad Bin Sām, and also referred to by Orientalists as Muhammad of Ghor (1149 – 1206), was a ruler of the Ghorid dynasty who reigned over a territory spanning present-day Afghanistan, Pakistan and northern India.
Shahabuddin Ghori reconquered the city of Ghazni (in modern-day Afghanistan) in 1173, and assisted his brother Ghiyas-ud-Din in his contest with Khwarezmid Empire for the lordship of Khorāsān. Shahabuddin Ghori captured Multan and Uch in 1175 and annexed the Ghaznavid principality of Lahore in 1186. After the death of his brother Ghiyas-ud-Din in 1202, he became the successor of his empire.Though the Ghorids’ empire was short-lived, Shahabuddin Ghori’s violent conquests strengthened the foundations of Muslim rule in India.
In 1206, Mu’izz left all the affairs in India in hands of his slave Qutb-ud-din Aibak. On his way back to Ghazni, his caravan rested at . He was assassinated on March 15, 1206, while offering his evening prayers.
Taraki Toll Plaza after Hail Storm
Sohawa City after Hail Storm
A Train on Jhelum Railway Bridge. The railway bridge on the river Jhelum was built in 1873 by the British engineer William St. John Galwey. He had also built the great Empress Bridge over the river Sutlej.
Boat bridge on Jhelum River, 1877. St. John’s Church is also visible in the background.
Editor’s Note: If you have liked this page, then please share it on Facebook, Twitter or any other social media.
If it is not inconvenient, please do write a brief comment at the end of this page under the heading “Leave a Reply here”.